By Cara Murez 

HealthDay Reporter

FRIDAY, March 3, 2023 (HealthDay Information) – A brain-eating amoeba has killed a Florida man, state well being officers reported.

The person might have acquired this very uncommon an infection after rinsing his sinuses with faucet water, the Florida Division of Well being in Charlotte County stated in a information launch.

Whereas well being officers proceed to analyze the reason for the Naegleria fowleri an infection, they emphasised that it may’t be contracted from consuming faucet water.

These infections solely occur when contaminated water enters by the sinuses, officers stated.

That extra sometimes occurs from swimming in heat lakes or rivers in summer season. N. fowleri grows in heat temperatures, based on the U.S. Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention. It may be present in soil and recent water.

Well being officers haven’t publicly recognized the person who died.

Circumstances have been reported in United States for every of the previous 4 years, together with three circumstances final 12 months that occurred in Arizona, Iowa and Nebraska.

The Iowa case occurred final June and concerned a Missouri resident who swam within the Lake of Three Fires in Taylor County. The Nebraska case was a toddler who died inside 10 days of being hospitalized after swimming within the Elkhorn River in August, NBC Information reported.

The illness sometimes progresses shortly after sufferers have signs that embody complications, fever, nausea, disorientation, lack of steadiness, a stiff neck and seizures. Sufferers sometimes die inside 18 days, NBC Information reported.

Florida well being officers beneficial that folks doing a sinus rinse, equivalent to with a neti pot, use distilled or sterile water.

“Faucet water needs to be boiled for not less than 1 minute and cooled earlier than sinus rinsing,” the discharge added.

Extra data

The U.S. Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention has extra on Naegleria fowleri.


SOURCE: NBC Information

Supply hyperlink